What is Date Night?
A Date Night is a typically pre-planned evening when a committed couple carves out some time for themselves away from their children and other responsibilities. Date Nights can also be ‘Date Days’, but the key idea is that the couple is spending time as a couple, and not as unstructured “family time.”
Five Benefits of Date Nights
Here are 5 ways date nights may strengthen the relationship of couples.
1) A date night is an opportunity to communicate, and this communication may help couples deepen their understanding of one another and the relationship. Communication is important because “individuals continue to change, and over time, as they and their relationship develop, they experience new challenges and problems
2) Date nights are valuable for their novelty. Researchers are discovering that “couples who engage in novel activities that are fun, active or otherwise arousing – from hiking to dancing to travel to card games – enjoy higher levels of relationship quality.
3) Date nights may strengthen or rekindle that romantic spark that can be helpful in sustaining the fires of love over the long haul.
4) Date nights may strengthen a couple’s sense of commitment to one another. . Partners who put one another first, who steer clear of other romantic opportunities and who cultivate a strong sense of ‘we-ness’ or togetherness are markedly happier than are less-committed couples.
5) Date nights are a way to relieve stress. They allow a couple to enjoy time with one another apart from the pressing concerns of their ordinary life. Date nights also may serve couples as an opportunity to extend emotional support to one another in times of trial.